Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

TURNING ON, OR BEAMING




Hand Loom Weaving Plain & Ornamental  (1910) - Luther Hooper



From what I have read the warp has to go on before doing the final adjustment to the shafts and tying up the treadles and lamms on a CB loom.


I wound a 9 yard warp and puzzled a bit as to how to get it on. Usually when putting a warp onto a conventional (as opposed to sectional) warp beam my wife grabs the ends, applies tension, and walks slowly towards the loom as I roll the warp onto the beam. My wife was out so what I came up with was this;


The warp was tied onto the back beam and went up to a raddle secured to the back of the loom framework.

(I am not going to get into the debate about the respective merits of traditional european style looms versus jack looms but I do like having places to put things; the light clamped to the top cross beam is very handy.)



The warp then went up and through another raddle that I secured to the top of the loom.












From here the warp went across to the top of the beater of a second loom that was conveniently situated nearby.

The animals on top of the loom controller are a frog, a penguin and a crab.




The warp ends dangled down and were weighted.

I was able to sit at the back of the loom and wind on the warp and put the sticks in. I am never quite sure how many to put in so I settled on 5 per revolution.


Every now and then I had to nip round to the front and adjust the weights It all went very smoothly.

(The computer screen in the background of this picture shows an overshot design, not mine, that I am working on, trying to get some interesting colours happening)








A happy beamer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome