Saturday, February 15, 2014

The picks are all right, but the selvedges; Oh my!

The warp is on for the DS Scarf #2 and I have started weaving the first sample which where I check that everything is in order, the tension is right, the warp advances smoothly, the threading and sleying is correct (alas, three cross overs) that the ppi is correct and the selvedges are behaving. After a while I got the beat where it should be (12ppi) but the selvedges were decidedly wonky.


I determined that the reason was that I was using a new shuttle. Normally when drawing a boat shuttle out of the shed I move it forward (to create the weft angle), stop the spool from letting out any more yarn by putting my thumb on it so that I am pulling the selvedge on the opposite side in just a little bit before I close the shed, release the tension on the weft and beat.

I have bought a new Glimakra shuttle, one with wheels. I wanted a shuttle that was light and well spread out so that it didn't go crashing through the floor of the shed. At only 6 ends per inch of 20/2 yarn the shed floor is not that robust. The shuttle trundles through the shed very nicely but because it is quite long the spool can shift from end to end which meant that I was missing the spool with my thumb and therefore not applying any tension to the selvedge. I have resolved the problem by cutting bits of another spool and using them as wide washers. Picture #4 above shows a marked improvement on the last dozen picks (though the beat looks to be a bit variable!

 I shall weave another 9" of sample before I start to weave the scarf proper - that should be enough to get everything bedded in.

PS. It has just occurred to me that what I am calling spools should in fact be called quills - I shall have to check.

2 comments:

  1. I work with the same Glimåkra shuttles as you and I like them. The difference is, that I use longer spools or bobbins, as they are called in my english written books. I think it´s also an advantage to use longer bobbins as they take more yarn. If you haven´t longer ones, maybe you could try to do as the Swedes do, they make them out of a piece of paper which is very inexpensive or better said, it doesn´t cost anything.
    I learned to do it in my weaving group in a swedish vävstuga and I like it, because you can make all sizes you like, fitting your different shuttles. Take a little piece of paper round off the edges and roll it on your bobbin winder. You can use them all over again, they get even better with time.
    Have a nice sunday!
    maliz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maliz,

    Thank you very much. I have followed your suggestions and it works very nicely - see my most recent post.

    Regards,

    Martin

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome