Monday, July 19, 2010

Counting heddles



Earlier I said that I had checked the heddles for this project. The statement was true but useless as the basis of any planning because what I had missed somewhere along the way is that there was a completely uneven distribution of heddles between the shafts.
So what I had to do was get all the rubbish of the castle, then remove the top of the castle, slide out the shafts and then remove and add heddles to get an even distribution.   I used cable ties to slide the heddles on and off the heddle support bars and there were no mishaps. Look at the build up of dust and fluff on the frame.

What took the time was that this exercise provided an opportunity to do several other maintenance tasks;

  • Get the vacuum cleaner nozzle in amongst the jacks and lamms
  • Clean and polish everything exposed by the removal of the shafts
  • Lubricate the metal links between the lamms and the jacks
  • Colour code and number the heddle support bars (for ease of threading)
  • Clean the shafts
  • Find a proper home for all the stuff that was on top of the castle






    1 comment:

    1. A (not-so-) fun day! It was good to get the maintenance done, though.

      ReplyDelete

    Comments are most welcome